Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I need a Hobby

Everyday I tell myself the same thing, I will do something productive today. I don't mean folding laundry, teaching Holt a new trick, or getting us out of the house. Something productive for the family, or myself, however you want to look at it. I'm inspired by so many ideas on Pinterest, I should just do them. Now that Holt is down to one nap a day, which lasts anywhere from 2-3 hours, how should I spend my time? Typically I spend some time doing pointless stuff online, and I mean pointless. Facebook, reading blogs, reading TMZ, MSN, or browsing for something I "need" to buy. Then I move onto the Social Media job I have for a couple of companies setting up Facebook articles and tweets. I have about an hour left at this point, maybe 2 depending on how long he sleeps. An entire hour to do something, anything besides sit in front of the computer. I don't watch much TV anymore and I typically do chores when Holt is awake. So how do I spend this hour? I have no idea! Before I know it Holt is awake and another day has gone by where I haven't done a darn thing that is productive.

Now I told myself when I became a stay at home mom that I would spend more time with God. I'm not entirely sure what that means, which is why I think I am not very good at it. I know He doesn't care how we do it, we should just do it. I am not good at reading anything during the day because my mind is all over the place. I cannot concentrate until right before bed, so reading anything is out of the question. How do you spend time with God? As much as God would appreciate me spending 3 hours with Him each day, I think I need more of a hobby. I should spend 30 minutes with God instead of reading all the online Gossip and what my 50 friends I barely know anymore on Facebook are doing at that given second. That I should do. So how?

Holt has recently become somewhat of a picky eater. I find myself making food that he doesn't eat day in and day out. I just purchased Deceptively Delicious and it is full of yummy recipes that I cannot wait to try. As I started reading through it I thought, "Where am I going to find time to make him this food?" Uhhh, Hello Shea, you have at least 2 hours every afternoon to make something, anything. So I think I will work on my cooking skills. I have always longed to be good at baking too. With all these recipes on Pinterest I am loving, I can surely cook for my family. I want to get really good at baking so my kids friends know me for my yummy treats. Yes, I totally copied Monica from friends, but it's true.

What about decorating? We are building a new house and I should be planning how I want everything to look in every room. Ugh, really? I am not a fan of decorating. My mom is an Interior Decorator, I'll give her a budget and let her do it. I don't even know where to look for decorating ideas because that's how much I dislike it. Kyle is actually better at decorating than me. But shouldn't I want to?

So everyday I tell myself this and another day ends and I haven't done anything. There is unfolded laundry in baskets still if you want to know the honest truth. How am I spending my time? I can't nap during the day due to the guilt I feel. I can't really do anything for myself during the day while he is napping due to the guilt. This is an entirely new blog post in itself really. So my question is, how do you spend your free time? How do you spend time with God? How are you finding time to decorate for Fall or plan the Holidays? How are you cooking your family dinner? Help me find a better use of my time, please!

2 comments:

  1. How did I miss this one??? When did we become such professional time wasters????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am way behind on reading this, but I wanted to give you my input. First of all, I struggle with the same thing. I guess I feel like when Hutton and Maizie are awake that I am going and going and my brain can't even stop for one second or something bad will happen that when I have one little (or big because there are days where they both sleep at the same time for as much as 2 hours) second I need to do something mindless and just rest! Then just like you at the end of the day I feel guilty because there is still so much to do and I just wasted time that could have been spent much better. So I have mad a rule for myself that the first thing I will read every day will be my bible. Not that I get up early, just that the first time I have a chance to sit, it should be with my bible. My brain is not always focused enough to get too much out of it, but it feels much better to know that I made that a priority over facebook. Then if I have time that they are both sleeping or even if only one is up and is entertaining themselves for a moment I have started writing in a journal and that has been really helpful. I just start writing something that has been on my heart or something I liked that I read or just prayers I have for my family, really just anything because it always expands and ends up being my best prayer and praise time. So thats what I am doing and it has really helped me feel productive and actually given me more energy and desire to get more stuff done around the house because I feel like my day is just going better.

    And I am always trying to figure out if Hutton is slightly color blind or if he just can't get orange and yellow straight!!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers