Sunday, January 13, 2013

I'm about done with you Facebook

I have loved Facebook since it started. Kyle has always made fun of me for it and probably wished I didn't spend so much time on it. Partially his fault, he insisted I get an iPhone which makes it just soooo easy to get on whenever I want! He doesn't get it. Lately, I don't get it either. The more it changes, the more annoyed I get. I know I know, it's a free service. We can't complain about what's free and what is out of our control. I'm not talking about the format or timeline or newsfeed changes over the years, I think all of those complaints are a little silly. We have all adapted haven't we? And guess what, we will adapt when it happens again.

I'm about done with it because it is depressing me. For the very reason that Facebook is wonderful, it's also the very reason it is so dang sad. It's wonderful that people can create a page and ask perfect strangers to pray. It's wonderful that you can suddenly be linked to a blog that makes you more aware of safety for your children. It's wonderful you can spread the word about a missing child or pet. It's wonderful you can come together as one unified group in a sad time in our Nation's history. It's wonderfully...depressing. My prayer list has grown so long I can't possibly remember all the awful stories I read on Facebook that day on top of praying for my own family and loved ones. I certainly try to remember them and quickly say a prayer when I see the words "Please say a prayer..." Heck I've even done it myself. I am beginning to feel guilty that I can't pray for everyone! So what do I do? Not pray for them at all? Choose the less awful story and try to remember to pray for them? It's too much, it's all too much. On top of that, I'm becoming a super paranoid Mom. It's hard enough to get through the day as a Mom worrying about the health and safety of your child without suddenly thinking your child is pulling his dresser on top of him at naptime because you have the monitor switched on camera 2 in the baby's room. Or your baby may not be reaching milestones because of some one in a billion disease you read about another baby having. Or thinking a fun bounce on the trampoline could result in a concussion or a leisurely swing on the playset could result in death. You already think horrible thoughts as a mom, we don't need the reminder. Gosh, this probably sounds horrible. It's great that so many people can come together for the sake of someone they have not met, don't get me wrong. What about everyone else? Everyone else's page that has not gone viral for some unknown reason? I think of these awful things all day. It's really sad. Here is one looney example of how it has made my mind think. Last week Holt hit his head on 4 different occasions in one afternoon. I heard him crying again when Kyle was getting him ready for bed. I heard Kyle say, "Don't do that! Are you ok?" When I asked what happened he told me that Holt had whipped his head back so hard that it scared him and hurt him. Crazy mom thought: Holt was internally decapitated and could possibly suffocate in his sleep. I mean what? That's crazy, right? Oh but it's not because I read a story like that one time. I checked on him more than a newborn that night. It's not healthy.

Don't get me started on the political posts, you people need twitter. But quite honestly, I'm not going to complain about it because I just skim right over anything I don't find interesting. I actually don't mind the sports posts. Most the time I can tell Kyle what happened in a game before he can even turn SportsCenter on. Therefore I can continue watching what I want to watch. And I'm sorry for all my friends that partake in this, I totally get why you do it, but I'm so over it. All the direct selling mavens out there bettering their lives one skin cream, statement necklace, and smelly wax cube at a time...AHHHHHHHH! There, I said it. As much as I want to believe this is the route for me to bring in some extra dough, it's really hard to believe it when 10 of you have (verbatim) the exact same status update, picture posted, and thank you posted all within a few hours of each other. I said I get it, doesn't mean I want to see it. I understand it's the best way to spark people's attention. I'd be lying if I said it didn't spark mine a time or two.

So Facebook, I'm over you. I want to see special announcements and people's kids. I want to see funny stories and over the top status updates from my sister. I want to see funny things your kids say. I actually kinda like the food pictures. I want to see happy things. I want to think happy thoughts. I also understand many people on Facebook hate, the things I just listed. So why are we "friends" anyways? Here's why I won't actually ever be able to leave it completely. What would I do during the 2+ hours a day I spend feeding my baby? I don't know why I need the validation of a "like" on something from a friend of friend I met one time at a wedding, but I do. I can't quit you, but I do so badly wish it could go back to a simpler time. The world is already scary, Facebook makes it scarier. At some point I think I will have to cut back, for my own sanity, and it will be a challenge. I'm willing to bet, I'll be able to go through my day just fine. I just might have to start hearing news from the people that matter straight from their mouths. What an idea, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers