Tuesday, October 1, 2013

My Mommy AHA Moment

It's me again, the Rainbow and Butterfly squasher, here to put real life in perspective and make others feel normal. Or maybe I'm the abnormal one and should look into that further (anyone know a shrink?). Regardless, I don't think most of us are spending our "spare" time as moms creating sensory stations of oatmeal and shaving cream for our infants and putting up tape in a doorway for our toddler boys to throw stuff at like it's a spiderweb. Kinda goes against the whole "Don't throw things in the house!" doesn't it? And if you are, that's fantastic, good for you, applause applause. I wonder where in your life do you feel you fall short, if I am feeling I fall short where you are excelling? Because lets be real, no one truly is that perfect

I've had a rough time lately, a really rough time. I've had tears, and major discussions with myself about what my life is about. There's a Kenny Chesney song with a lyric that goes:
"She said the girl I was with the business degree probably wouldn't recognize me.
I was gonna run the bank.
I was gonna run the math.
Now all I want to run is a bubble bath."

And that's how I feel. I'm the girl with the business degree and I know for a fact she wouldn't recognize me. I told Kyle when I was deciding to become a stay at home mom, that I needed a job description. I needed a list of his expectations because that's how my mind works. I like business. If this was any other job in the world, I honestly feel like I would have been fired by now. They're my kids and they're my husband so they can't fire me. I want to fire myself because I feel like I am failing at it...every single day. 

Here's what happened this morning. Like every morning, I'm running around like a crazy person changing diapers, wiping bottoms, grabbing Superman underwear, he wants Spiderman underwear, pouring milk, making it chocolate, he didn't want chocolate, making it regular again, making him a bowl of cereal, he didn't want milk, toss out the cereal, put cereal in a cup, looking for shoes and socks I know I saw the day before, picking up a milk cup off the ground, putting on mascara on the other eye I forgot, packing the ice pack in lunch so his yogurt stays cold, don't forget the spoon, chasing kids to comb their hair, convincing him to put his shoes on, he's looking for Batman, put your shoes on, I scream. I lose it. I lose my cool completely. I lose it so bad I have floated out of my body and the girl with the business degree looked down and wondered who that girl down there yelling at her 3 year old is. I turn everything over to God and pray for him to please show me the way, I don't like that person. I surrender to You. In the midst of fighting back my tears a few minutes later, my 3 year old walks over to me with all his innocence and says "Mommy, maybe if I hug you, you will feel better." Hello God. I lose it again, this time it's tears rolling down my face. I apologize and tell him I love him. We get in the car and he says "Are we best friends again?" I've been convicted. This was my AHA moment. I don't know what to do from here but I know I've reached the point where I need to be honest with myself and make some changes. Maybe it's ordering a book, (I already have one on the way), maybe it's spending more time alone, maybe it's deciding to get my house in order (ha), maybe it's talking with my doctor, maybe it's a bottle of wine with my girlfriends, maybe it's time away with my husband, go to the gym, get more involved at Church, who knows. Being a mom is hard, it's really hard, and no one tells you why it's hard. That's what I am here for.

12 comments:

  1. Hope my comment on FB wasn't too much!!
    I was on a soapbox today I guess! LOL
    You are going through what EVERY mom feels at some point and time....trust me, we have ALL been there! Keep up the good work and take a little time for yourself (as often as you can - ha ha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I've read your blog before but never commented. I found it from Jacquelyn's blog! I just wanted to say thank you for your honesty! I have a two year old and a 2 month old and your mornings sound exactly like mine! It's nice to know that it's normal and that I'm not crazy! You are right, being a mom is really hard! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and responding. If I can make one mom breathe a sigh of relief and say, "whew, that's me!" I have done my job posting a blog. You hang in there too Mama!

      Delete
  3. I found your blog from Meagan's blog and can I just say AMEN because I FEEL THE EXACT SAME WAY! I have two boys 4 and 2 and I'm dying here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really tough! I wish I had more answers than rants, but I don't. I'm just surviving here! I will have more posts to come. I have a whole list of stuff I want to get out in my head! Thanks for responding and reading.

      Delete
  4. I'm an anonymous follower of Megan and your post title caught my attention. I totally feel everything youvare aaying. Thank you for being honest and sharing. I have a two and three year old and teying to get them out the door for school in the mornings or for my me time at the gym can send me over the edge some days and I resort to raising my voice/yelling. Then I go to bed that night and feel so guitly and worry that I am damaging my kids self esteem. Lol! We have a lot of happy times too, but mostly me getting onto them bc they are doing something they aren't supposed to be. My house is a wreck most days and I don't get toys picked up before leaving the house or going to bed, as some bloggers might state they do. I saw all this to hopefully make you feel better and you are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! I really appreciate it. I just really want us moms to stick together and be more honest with each other about our struggles rather than pretending it's all perfect. I have more in store about the house being a wreck too, you'll feel even more normal when you read that post! Thanks again for validating my craziness!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for posting this! I like how honest you are about being a mom. I have 2 boys (4 year old and 7 month old). Some days are hard (especially the nights I don't get sleep).....it's nice to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shea, I'm not sure if Kyle told you, but I'm pregnant right now and your blog on facebook caught my eye. I seem to have these moments now without kids, so I know our entire world is about to change. Your outlook is so uplifting and Stephen mentioned joining y'all for bible study on Tuesdays. I would definitely love to join y'all one week. What a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I swear some moms either have better kids than mine or they are lying!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. For starters, I have had to stop and restart reading this post three times now. :). I know all too well what you are describing. I have it in my "to blog" about list because what I have learned from these desperate moments is GRACE. No better lesson in true grace than watching your child grant you grace when you least deserve it. Well said, mama!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with your post...being a mom is so freaking hard. I've been staying home with our youngest baby right now while our two year old is at school all day...and that is still hard. Working 12 hour days to now changing diapers, cleaning, etc all day...gets a little boring/makes you crazy/question what the hell you are doing with your life. I know there are some moms out there that just "LOVE being a stay at home mom", but they must be crazy or have a nanny/house keeper that comes multiple times per week. So I suggest you do the same...maybe get a babysitter to come a few times a week so you can have some time to yourself. :) Oh and drink some wine.

    ReplyDelete

Followers