Friday, October 22, 2010

I figured it out...

You know why us women, and especially now that we're moms also, can come across as bitchy and nagging? Because we don't ask for help. We think we can do it all. We think our husband can read our minds about the messy house or the fact that the laundry is still waiting to be folded.

First of all, most men don't care about these things. I have tested it. While I was pregnant, I nicely asked Kyle to pick up anything that was on the ground since I couldn't bend over anymore. There was a single Qtip in the middle of our bathroom floor. I thought to myself, "How long will it stay there?" It was bugging the heck out of me, but I would rather step on it than attempt bending over on tile floor. You know how long it stayed there? Well over a week until I couldn't take it anymore. I hastily bent over to pick it up while somewhat screaming to Kyle, "YOU DON'T SEE THIS DOWN HERE?! I TOLD YOU I NEEDED YOU TO PICK UP EVERYTHING ON THE FLOOR SINCE I CAN'T!" I honestly don't think he even noticed the Qtip on our floor at all and if he did, it certainly didn't bother him like it did me. I bet if I had just asked the very first time I saw it, if he would please throw it away, he would have kindly obliged. Neither of us would have given it any thought. He wouldn't have thought I was being a biotch and I wouldn't have had to scream.

So you see, if we would just ask the first time something bothers us or ask when we need help, we would probably be a lot nicer to our husbands. Even better, they would be happy to help instead of feeling like they have to because we screamed at them. I'm going to work on this.

I'm quickly learning that I can't do it all and I need to ask for help. I'm on the go from 5am until 11pm now that I'm back at work. Instead of glaring at Kyle while he cozily sits on the couch watching TV while I am pumping or fixing bottles or cleaning up the kitchen, maybe I should just ask him to help me get the bottles ready? I am willing to bet that he would and have no problem doing so. I'm looking forward to seeing how this epiphany will change my life, my mood, and my marriage. Glad I could save the rest of you the trouble of waiting to figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers