Thursday, August 11, 2011

Toddler Food Options

MOMS, HELP!

Holt's bloodwork at his one year appointment showed that he is mildly anemic. This was totally to be expected because I really can't get him to eat much meat. I would have a hard time eating meat if I only had 3 1/2 teeth too. He does not like the texture of lunch meat and is so over meatballs of any kind. He likes his veggies for the most part but would live on cheese, bread, mac n cheese, and bananas if I let him. He is also a fan of rice and beans. I wouldn't say he is a picky eater, just prefers some foods over others. He'll try anything for a few bites, just may not eat it all up. He also does not seem to like spaghetti sauce. I for one, am completely shocked by this. I thought for sure he would gobble up the english muffin pizza I made for him yesterday, but threw it on the floor for Bentley to gobble up instead.

I'd just like to know what kind of foods your kiddo prefers and if anyone elses kids were anemic. I'm giving him the over the counter iron supplement, awful by the way, but would like to get him in the habit of eating right too. Comment below or email me at shea.kummer@gmail.com with some thoughts! Thanks Mamas!

5 comments:

  1. Shea... have you heard of the book "Deceptively Delicious" by Jerry Seinfeld's wife? It's FANTASTIC and I literally read the entire book cover to cover in two days. Not only does it have some great recipes, but it has practical advice for Mama's trying to raise healthy kiddos. I highly recommend it. It will have some recipes where you can be sneaky and puree meat into another yummy food. Sounds gross but really is good! Also- try sneaking a slice or two of turkey inside a super cheesy grilled cheese. That always works for Hudson. Finally... you didn't mention peanut butter did you? Hudson loves peanut butter, and there are lots of healthy options out there. You can put it on lots of stuff, too! Hope this helps. Hang in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what meat you are trying to buy but the Gerber meat by itself is disgusting and Angelina hated it too. However, she does well with the meat that is mixed with a meal, especially the spaghetti with meatballs and chicken noodle. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hadley wasn't anemic but my hubs was for a bit and I remember he ate a lot of raisins. Hadley loves raisins so maybe raisins are a good kid friendly and high iron food. Also, have you ever seen the cookbook Deceptively Delicious? It is all about hiding foods in kid friendly dishes. It might help add the spinach and so on. And with the meat, Hadley didn't like it really (and still doesn't always) but keep trying it. She eats deli turkey for lunch now- so I am sure Holt will (or maybe not) eventually. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can always try garden burgers and soy nuggets to get the protein and iron. I like to mix those in so he's not always eating the same things. The plum squeezie foods are awesome, too! Organic and most all the veggies they mix with the fruit are high in Calcium and Iron.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try Bell & Evans chicken nuggets! They are a healthy chicken nugget - seriously! Organic and ridiculously yummy! You have to actually bake them (not just heat them up) so they taste fresh and not greasy. I think they only have them at Whole Foods, so if you are near one - stock up! Also, we give Ryan those little smokies (they also have a turkey version) and he totally digs them- I mix it up with his mac n cheese and he cleans it up.

    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers