Saturday, February 5, 2011

Solids Setback

I don't know what the deal is, but Holt is refusing solids. He was really getting the hang of it and not he won't even open his mouth. I know we have only been at it for 2 weeks now, but I thought it would get better, not worse. He used to open his mouth right up when he saw the spoon coming, now he just bites his bottom lip. It's not even in protest, it's just his favorite thing to do. I tried to tell him, "You don't get better than sweet potatoes and bananas dude!" He didn't care so much. Now he's starting to fuss through the whole process, squirm, kick, turn his head. When he does open his mouth, he eats what's on the spoon, he doesn't spit it out. So what gives? He obviously likes what it is, just doesn't feel like opening his mouth. This is getting to be very frustrating to do 3 times a day. I'm trying to be patient, but it's tough.

He should be eating several tablespoons of cereal a day and at least a 1/2 jar of food at each sitting. I'm lucky if he's getting 1/2 tblsp of cereal and a half a jar all day. He's on fruits and veggies, and he does have his favorites. At least he did. I have tried mixing them, nursing before, not nursing before, waiting until he is well rested, waiting until he is hungry. I have done every plane, train, and automobile sound that exists. I have had him watch me eat it. I've made MMM sounds AHHH sounds, pinched his cheeks and shoved it in, made him laugh and sneaked it in. In a matter of days he went from improving to not wanting it at all. It has stayed that way. Luckily, I know this is still somewhat "practice" but I'd really like to see it get better. He will eventually require these foods. Any tips other than "just stick with it?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers