Sunday, March 13, 2011

Couple Retreat

I say couple, because it was singular, as in just me and my hubby! Kyle travels a lot with his job and this past week he had a conference in Jacksonville, FL at Ponte Vedra Inn and Club. A couple months back his colleague suggested that he bring me along because it was a beautiful location and there would be some down time. How nice of him to offer. So when Kyle first mentioned this, my first thought was, how long will I be leaving Holt? Second thought, how much breastmilk is that going to be? (112 ounces to be exact) Needless to say I managed to get through both. My mom was gracious enough to come and watch Holt for the week. I think they both enjoyed themselves very much. Although on Friday afternoon she said, "I'm glad you are home." And went to take a nap.

We left on Tuesday afternoon and flew home Friday morning. It was just the right amount of time. Kyle must have asked me every week leading up to this trip, "Are you sure you want to go? Are you sure you can leave Holt?" Of course I wanted to go and yes I was sad about leaving Holt for that long. My mom encouraged me not to worry and go, and relax. Ahhh, relax, what did that word even mean? I had forgotten since July 20, 2010 when this little bundle of joy blessed my life. Did I cry, you betcha. I held it together all the way to the airport but actually getting out of the car and kissing him goodbye was gut wrenching. He was so happy and making all his cute little sounds. Once I got inside the airport, I was fine the rest of the trip.

So the real point of this blog is to emphasize how important I think it is that Kyle and I get away together every 2-3 months. To go back to just being a couple, husband and wife, was great. Don't get me wrong, we both love being parents to our crazy little boy. It's more about how quickly you can forget how to just be a couple once this little person comes into your life. We weren't stressed, I didn't have anything to stress about, he didn't have to hear me nag...it was bliss. Our biggest decision all week was, "margarita or pina colada?" as we sat by the pool on Wednesday. And the only day we sat by the pool because we were burnt to a crisp. This bod hasn't seen the sun in about 2 years. It was refreshing to take on just one role for a few days and that was the role of WIFE. Although he had meetings to attend and we went to networking functions at night, just to be away in a new setting was such a breath of fresh air. We still enjoyed breakfast and dinner together though. By Thursday night we were ready to come home and see Holt again. We both missed him terribly! I hope I can tag along for more trips in the future. It is just so important that you feel that connection to your significant other all the time, and if you have children, you know how easy it is to lose that connection. After almost a week together, the most time we have spent alone since our Honeymoon, I will miss Kyle when he goes back to the office tomorrow. It was a much needed break for me and I'm sure refreshing for him to have me all to himself for a few days.


View from our porch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers