Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Traumatic Walk

I must blog about this traumatic walk I decided to take with Bentley and Holt last week. It was traumatic for all 3 of us. Part of my job description according to my husband is to take Bentley on more walks, a chore that he has neglected since Holt was born. No problem, Holt and I are happy to get out and get some fresh air. Now I noticed how windy it was before leaving the house, but it was the perfect temperature outside so I didn't give it much thought. How could I have forgotten how much the wind terrifies my son!?! We start out great, Bentley is cooperating, Holt is enjoying sitting up in his big boy stroller, and I am getting some exercise. (My second round that day might I add, I had a morning treadmill session as well)

We get to the lake in our neighborhood. This will be fun. I can point out the ducks to Holt, Bentley can do his business on public grounds and not in someone's yard...awesome. Problem number one...the sun is beaming in our faces the direction we need to turn. Problem number two...Holt is holding his breath, shaking his hands and legs violently as the wind beats him in the face. This is not just a breeze, this is full out, lose your balance wind. I immediately turn the stroller around so he can breathe and get down to his level so I can calm him down and wipe away his tears. I feel horrible. So I go the other direction away from the sun and the wind, no problem, we'll just go the long way. I continue to take turns that will lead us away from the sun and the wind. Oh my gosh, where am I? I'm at least a half a mile from home at this point. Bentley has run out of waste to excrete, I'm realizing that no matter what I will have to face the wind and the sun to get back home, but luckily Holt is happy. So I reach the end of the street where I have to make this turn. I stand there making Holt laugh so I can distract him from the trauma he is about to endure. I bring the umbrella part of his stroller down all the way in front of him, solves the sun problem. Bentley looks at me with his tongue hanging out so far it's about to touch the concrete. He's used to 5 minute long walks and even those haven't happened in about 6 months. I start jogging, Bentley is dragging, Holt looks at me like I'm the worst mother in the world as he starts to hold his breath and cry. Bentley takes the lead in front of me as I jog next to the stroller, against the wind, guiding it with one hand as I sing, make faces, and tell Holt how much fun we're having. He's laughing, thank goodness. Ok he's not laughing anymore, now he's terrified. We...are...almost...there.

What was probably 30 seconds, felt like 3 hours. I'm winded, Bentley is about to take a nap in the next yard he comes across, and Holt is reassuring me that this is the worst idea I have ever had. We make it to the next street where we can turn, no sun and no wind. Everyone is happy. Except me, I now realize there will be one more straightaway that we cannot avoid to get home. We make the turn. Again the wind begins slapping us all in the face. No matter how many times I tell Holt, "You're fine! You're ok!" He's not buying it. This street is pretty straight, so I decide I can walk it backwards pulling the stroller instead of pushing it. That is hard to do with Bentley in my other hand. So I keep the stroller pointing the other directions and pull it with my right hand as I continue to hold Bentley's leash in my left hand. Awesome, here comes a man walking his dog. Luckily Bentley is way too tired to pay attention to the other dog and he keeps on walking. I wish I could have seen how ridiculous I looked walking down the street pulling my stroller and walking a dog. We finally made it home, and we are all traumatized. What just happened? That was the worst 20 minutes EVER. Bentley collapsed on the floor, Holt was so happy to be inside with his toys and me holding him, and I was ready for some wine. I haven't been brave enough to venture out with the stroller again. Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers