Wednesday, September 5, 2012

First Day of Preschool

Today marked Holt's first day of preschool. After his Meet the Teacher Day last week, I was confident that he was going to do just fine. He was having a great time playing in his classroom and didn't even seem to notice if I was in the room or not. It made me feel very relaxed about the first day of school. I wasn't sure what my emotions would be, or better yet, what my preggo hormones would have in store for me today. I really thought I would do just fine and for the most part I did. We tried to take the ole pictures by the front door pics and he wasn't really about that. We did capture most of the morning on video and I snapped pictures of him when he was least expecting it. These days he wants to see all pictures of himself and immediately changes his attitude when he sees a camera pointed on him.We walked into his school and he was happy to show of his blue "backcack" to everyone, which is really his lunchbox. He happily walked down the hallway wearing his backpack and carrying his lunchbox. He walked right into his classroom with no problems, except that he didn't want anyone to have his lunchbox. He didn't quite understand why I needed to take that from him. He kept saying "Mommy, open!" I hung up his backpack and he dashed off to the different play areas of the room. I was doing great. I would say most the kids in his class at this point were crying, he was just staring at them trying to figure it out.

I told Kyle we needed to sneak out of there so he didn't see us and try not to use the word B-Y-E. Hold didn't seem to notice that we were leaving. I blew him a kiss and out we walked. I was still doing great. Kyle whipped out the video camera one last time and turned back to Holt's classroom. I saw Holt come running to the door and put his hands on the ledge and peer over, all I could see were little hands and his fauxhawk. Kyle went to turn off the video and said, "There he goes!" That was the end of it for me! Tears just started falling and I couldn't stop it. I couldn't explain it, I couldn't do anything about it. Luckily I saw a friend and she distracted me. We signed up to get Holt's shirt and as we were doing that we saw his class walk into their music room. Holt was basically skipping down the hall and into the class room while Binky Baby Boy and Blankie Baby Girl were still wailing away for their Mommy's. It was so comforting to me to see him so happy just moments after we left him. He was happy and he didn't shed a tear. I didn't shed anymore tears after that either.



I came home and found it strangely odd I could turn on the TV and watch what I wanted to watch. What do you mean I can turn on the tv and not have to watch something animated with annoying cartoon voices? This was amazing! However I did not spend any time in front of the tv. I, in turn, caught up on emails and visited with my mom who came over to monitor the window treatment installation in Jett's room. Before I knew it, 5 hours was gone and I went to pick him up. He was in his change of clothes pants due to a spill and very happy to see Mommy and Meme there to pick him up. He did say, "Where'd Daddy go?" But still couldn't wipe the smile off his face to see me there. He did not nap and did not eat much of his lunch either. Both of these were to be expected and come at no surprise. I put him down for a nap when we got home and after fighting it for a bit, he went to sleep. And here I am writing this blog instead of putting my feet up...which is the only thing on my to do list today and the only thing that did not get checked off. I'm ready for him to wake up so I can spend some time with him now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers