Monday, September 24, 2012

Jett's Birthday

The day finally came. After what seemed like the gestational period of an elephant, Jett's Birthday was finally here. It's quite different when you know months in advance exactly when your baby will be here, if not sooner. I can't say I minded knowing at all! I felt very prepared and was so happy I had plans for Holt all along the way while we were in the hospital. So a few days before September 14th, I found out my C-Section was at 12:30pm not at 7:30am like I had thought for months and months! At first I was a tad annoyed, but then I realized I wouldn't have to rush out of the house at 5am and I could spend the morning as usual with my Holtster. I made his breakfast, we watched Mickey Mouse and Doc McStuffins, just a normal day! So before I got too emotional I gave Holt one last squeeze and didn't draw much attention to myself leaving. I was surprisingly fine and just so excited about what the next few hours had in store for us.

We arrived at the hospital around 10:30am and immediately my nurse got to work on me. Paperwork, IV's, consent forms, and blood draws (like 4 thanks to my rolling veins and us forgetting to mention we were doing Cord Blood Banking). I'm so used to blood draws it's ridiculous. Around 11:30 my Dad showed up and we just sat around talking like we were in a living room instead of Triage. My mom, still on crutches from her nasty foot surgery a month ago came hobbling in too. Nothing like seeing your Mommy's face right before a major procedure/life experience. She's always just what I need to feel calm. And Kyle is pretty good at calming me down as well. Then came the Kummer's. It was almost go time and I decided I needed to go to the bathroom one last time before the surgery. I waddled down the hall with my cap, hospital gown, and sheet to hide my exposed derriere.


We said our goodbyes and I walked, yes walked, I was surprised by this myself to the OR. As protocol calls for, Kyle had to stay outside the OR until my spinal took and all was going well. In case you don't know, should it not work, the Daddy must stay outside the OR the entire time while Mommy is put completely under for the C Section. Kyle and I let go of hands and off I went. I jumped up on the table and just started praying. They prepped my back for the spinal, which really wasn't too bad. I wished I was holding onto Kyle instead of some nurse I had never seen before, but I was just glad to know it worked. I felt Jett kick me one last time as the meds were going in as if he was saying, "Lets do this Mommy." I smiled to myself and glanced at the clock, 12:53.

Kyle came in and we just started holding hands and talking like nothing was going on over the blue curtain between my chest and abdomen. The doctor said "Ok, you're going to feel some pressure." I was fully expecting the violent pressure I felt during Holt's C Section. Next thing I knew, I heard Jett cry and she held him over the curtain for me to see. He was born at 1pm on the dot. That was it?!? I felt nothing, not a pull or a jerk, nothing and he was here! Tears of joy started to fall. Kyle is always confused at this point as to what he should be doing. As a woman, you are at your most vulnerable and need your husband to still hold your hand as they finish the procedure by putting you back together. As a mom, you say "Go be with him, take lots of pictures! I'm fine!" This time there was a giant TV screen on the bed where they were tending to Jett. I got to see him the entire time they were weighing him, measuring him, and getting him to breathe. He was so pink and perfect. At 8lbs 8oz, and 21 inches long, an APGAR of 8 and 9...this boy changed my life again. I cried tears of joy thinking about him and Holt together over the years and I was just so happy. Not going to lie, after my labor with Holt, I think I was crying more tears of relief and some tears of joy. It was so nice having the tv screen to concentrate on than what they were doing to me over the curtain. I did hear at one point I heard the doctor when she was sewing me up, "We need this to stop, we've got to stop this." Ok, attention back on the TV screen! I also talked to the nurse behind me asking her if they were almost done and was I closed up yet. I mean how grotesque is that? None of it mattered when I looked at the screen.

They finally brought Jett over to me to see, I couldn't believe his size. I knew I had a big belly, but my gosh, how did that fit in me! There is just nothing like that moment. I kissed him and told him how much I loved him. More kisses. Then they took him to the nursery and Kyle followed while I was finishing up. They told me it would be two hours before I could see Jett again. Uhhh what? Luckily when I got back to recovery, I asked the nurse and she said, "Oh no, I'll go get him now." It was more like 20 mins, thank goodness. I had to be in recovery for 2 hours before seeing family. It was nice to have that time, just me and Kyle with Jett. I decided to go ahead and nurse him for the first time. One hour after being born he latched on immediately and "ate" for 15 minutes. This part just truly amazes me.

When my recovery time was over, I was wheeled to my room, a massive and nice room with a view out the window too. It was just I-10, but how nice to see moving cars and life going on outside of my room! The family came in and Jett came in about 30 minutes later. Everyone passed him around and it was just so happy and joyful in the room. I fully expected the emotion that came with Holt's delivery, but this was just so much smoother for everyone that we could only smile and not cry.


We came home on September 17th and life continued as normal. It didn't stop like when we brought Holt home. I'm still Holt's mommy, so that doesn't stop or slow down for a minute. The first week has gone pretty smooth and I am amazed at how God can open your heart even bigger to love another lil human just as much as anyone else. God is good.

1 comment:

  1. He's PERFECT! Congrats to you all! Heal fast and enjoy that sweet baby boy!

    ReplyDelete

Followers