Tuesday, August 31, 2010

First Mall Outing

Holt and I ventured to the mall for the first time yesterday. It was a gloomy day and I thought it would do our moods good to get out of the house. But to be perfectly honest, I really just wanted an Auntie Anne's pretzel (jalapeno with cheese dip, mmm). My mouth was watering every time I thought about one so I went all the way to the mall to get it. This would be my second time getting the stroller out of my car and I was hoping I didn't look like the "newbie" that I knew I was. Well if Supermom and her 2 kids hadn't whipped into the parking space next to me, I would have gotten away with it. Before I could even compose myself to get out of the car and face the 5 minute challenge of getting the stroller out, Holt in, diaper bag and emergency distraction toys packed, Supermom had her 3 year old out in a stroller and her 9 week old safely strapped to her in a Baby Bjorn. There was smoke coming off her sneakers and I swear she said "Eat my dust Newbie." No actually Veronica was very nice, it's amazing how much you learn about someone in a 30 second walk from the parking garage. I even said to her, "You look like a pro!" Dangit, I just exposed myself! UGH, to make matters worse she had to help me figure out how to lower the back part of my stroller because the carrier wouldn't fit. On the way into the mall she said, "You go it?" No Veronica, I want you to walk around with me until we leave to make sure I'm doing this right, OF COURSE I GOT IT. No really, she was very nice and invited me to her Stroller Strides workout class, you get to use your baby to work out. No thanks, I'm playing the "I had a C Section card" as long as I can. So off she went to buy her daughter shoes for school and I went back to the car to get the item I needed to return...crap.

So I got to the register to return the item and this curious little girl walked away from her mom, who didn't even notice, to come look at Holt in the stroller. I noticed she was holding a bird feather. Like the kind you see on the ground in a park, the kind you DO NOT touch because it's so disease ridden. Well her mom, Mom of the Year (not), let her carry this nasty thing around. She kept looking at me and looking at Holt. I tried my best to smile but all I could think was "Please do not touch my child with that nasty feather or your SARS infected fingers! Get away from the stroller." I stood there with a half smile while I slowly turned the stroller 180 degrees away from her. Then I returned the item and contemplated using the store credit on myself or Holt...he won. I found super cute outfits on clearance for like $4 each. This mall outing was looking up finally!

From there it was off to find some clothes for me that accomplished a few things: hiding the leftover belly, looking stylish, and going past my knees when I pull them up. I decided until I start working out again and discover what my new body will look like, I'm a hostage to elastic waisted bottoms. Bring on the leggings! It's too hot for jeans anyways right?

By now I'm dying for that pretzel! Just a new nursing bra purchase away from my treat! I look at the clock, I have about 15 minutes before he wakes up starving to make my purchase, get my pretzel, and get home. 2-3 hours goes by really fast, by the way, when you are nursing your baby. Auntie Anne's here I come, and it's going to be 10 minutes before my delicious jalapeno pretzel is ready. NOOOOOOO!!! The whole reason I forced myself to the mall in the first place! I decide any flavor will do and I just get the original. Still quite tasty. I booked it out of there hoping Supermom and I didn't cross paths again on our way to the parking garage. Of course not, her car was long gone when I got back there. After one more stroller through the door struggle and another stranger asking me, "You got it?" (in which I replied YES as the wheel got stuck on the door so clearly I did not) I made it to the car and devoured my pretzel. This newbie made it home just in time to feed him. I felt so accomplished for the day then I realized it was 1:30. I was exhausted. How was I going to pass the time until Kyle got home??

3 comments:

  1. You are HILARIOUS!! Love your post- super Mom- HAHA! You are already a super Mom girlie and you'll feel more like one as time passes. I hate when doors don't open automatically or have a handicap button b/c they can be really heavy and hard to manuver w/ a stroller so you're not the only one. Which store had a clearance going on? We might have to go visit it!! :) ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it took me forever to figure out how to get the stroller unlatched and through the mall doors too. Don't worry, practice makes perfect. Keep doing those small outings. They are worth the effort! And before you know it, you'll be that mom with a newborn in the Bjorn and a toddler in the stroller!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with everything you wrote! You are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

Followers